You are browsing the documentation for version 4.2 of OroCommerce, OroCRM and OroPlatform, which is no longer maintained. Read version 5.1 (the latest LTS version) of the Oro documentation to get the updated information.
See our Release Process documentation for more information on the currently supported and upcoming releases.
Manage dotmailer Data Fields and Mappings
As well as utilizing the default contact data fields (FIRSTNAME, FULLNAME or LASTNAME) that are already in place in dotmailer address books, you can create new contact data fields to capture and/or contain additional information about your contacts. The more useful data you can collect on your contacts, the more you can proficiently segment, target and personalize your email campaigns, and in turn generate better response rates.
The default fields are listed on the Default Data Fields tab, while new customized fields are on My Data Fields. These are located in Contacts > Contact Data fields.
Within My Data Fields, you can view, create or remove new data fields.
Create a New Data Field
To create a new data field, click New Data Field. A dialog box will open with the following fields to fill in:
|Name||Enter a name for the data field. It must consist of alphanumeric characters only, with hyphens and underscores, if required. The maximum length is 20 characters.|
|Type||Select data field type: string, numeric, date or boolean. Make sure you select the correct type so your information could render correctly.|
|Default Value||When sending a campaign that uses template personalization, a default value ensures that a value is always displayed even if data field is blank.|
|Access||Select access type: public or private. Make the field public if you want to allow your contacts to view and amend the data you hold on them in this field.|
|Folder||Select the folder to save your data field to. by default, Data Fields folder is selected.|
Click Save to save the new data field.
Oro Application Side
The dotmailer data fields are collected by Oro and can be found under Marketing > dotmailer > Data Fields. Here, you can view, remove, and create new dotmailer data fields on the Oro side.
Create a New Data Field in the Oro Application
To create a new data field in Oro application, click Create dotmailer Data Field in the upper-right corner of the page. A form will open with the following fields to fill in within the General section:
- Integration — Select your dotmailer integration.
- Name — Enter a name for the data field. It should consist of alphnumeric characters only, with hyphens and underscores, if required.
- Type — Select data field type: string, numeric, date or boolean. Make sure you select the correct type so your information could render correctly.
- Visibility — Select visibility type: public or private. Make the field public if you want to allow your contacts to view and amend the data you hold on them in this field.
- Default Value — When sending a campaign that uses template personalization, a default value ensures that a value is always displayed even if data field is blank. Default value depends on the data field type selected.
You can add a note for the data field you are creating in the Additional section in Notes.
Click Save and Close to save the new data field. Once saved, it will appear in the Data Fields grid.
From within the grid, you can also:
- Filter the fields by channel, name, visibility, and type.
- Add notes with the help of the inline editing feature.
- Delete a field.
System fields (e.g., FIRSTNAME, LASTNAME) cannot be deleted.
Sync Data Fields
By default, data fields are synchronized with dotmailer once a day. This interval can be changed in System > Configuration > Integrations > dotmailer Settings > Synchronization Settings. Synchronization can be also triggered manually by clicking the Synchronize button from data fields grid.
Existing data fields cannot be updated.
Data Field Mappings
Data Field Mappings is available under Marketing in the main menu.
Create a New Mapping
In order to export/import specific data fields from/to dotmailer, you can build the mapping between Oro entity fields and dotmailer data fields. When a new integration is created, default mappings for common data fields (FIRSTNAME, LASTNAME, and FULLNAME) are added automatically for Oro application entities (Contact, Lead, etc.). Existing mapping can be updated and new mappings can be added.
To create a new mapping, click Create dotmailer Data Field mapping in the upper-right corner of the Data Field Mappings page.
A form will emerge with the following fields to fill in within the General section:
- Integration | Select your dotmailer integration.
- Entity | Select the entity (e.g., Contact, etc).
- Sync Priority | If two or more entities are linked to 1 dotmailer contact, sync priority will be used to identify the master record.
Configure your mapping in the Mapping Configuration section of the same page.
The Two Way Sync check box should be selected if you want to update application entities with data from dotmailer.
Once you have configured mapping, tracking of changes will be performed automatically every 5 minutes. You can manually re-synchronize data fields on a required marketing list from its view page. To perform manual synchronization:
- Open the marketing list connected to dotmailer.
- Click dotmailer in the upper-right corner.
- Click Refresh Data Fields.
For more details on the dotmailer configuration, see the dotmailer Integration guide.